Blog Archive

Monday, January 19, 2009

Easy-Peasy Lemon Marmalade


After a glorious lunch at a friend's house on Christmas Day, she sent me home with a BIG bag of lemons (see, it all ties back to the previous post almost a month ago). I spent a few days admiring the bowl of lemons on the kitchen table. Then I got sick and ate a few (yes, I actually eat raw lemons). Then I started getting scared thinking what could I possibly do with so many lemons?!? I could not possibly eat them. I didn't want to make lemonade as I am not a big fan of it. And my attempt to convince James to make lemonchello was quite unsuccessfully. Finally (after much pondering and many sleepless nights) I discovered lemon marmalade! This fantastically well illustrated recipe from Simply Recipes asks for Meyer lemons (thought to be a cross between a true lemon and a mandarin orange or sweet orange). I don't think my lemons were Meyer but the process looked simple and the result promised to be delicious so I figured it was worth the try. And try I did.

We had some for breakfast this morning and it was delicious!

Lemon Marmalade

800 grams organic lemons (~4 C)
800 grams organic sugar (~4 C)
800 grams of water (~4 C)
(Makes ~4 cups of marmalade)


Additional equipment: cheesecloth (teabags work too), jars, sauce pan. Follow the instructions here. On the following morning, place a cup of yogurt in a bowl, mix with a tablespoon of marmalade and some cereal. Enjoy!

No comments: