Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Spring Favorite

As different as we were when we were kids, my sister and I had the same favorite dishes. These dishes were the first we ever learned to cook (luckily they are all simple enough) and now that we are adults they are saving our lives in hungry, busy, and stressful times. One of them is this new potatoes with dill "extravaganza". I cannot resist making it every spring as soon as new potatoes and fresh dill come out. I made it a few weeks ago for my parents and was exulted to receive the compliments of my Mom. Woot! She may hate my hair, nails, and sense of interior design, but she loved my new potatoes with dill. I'll take that.

New Potatoes with Dill

2 lb small new potatoes
1 big bunch fresh dill
1/3 C canola oil
4 Tbs flour
1 C plain yogurt
salt to taste
feta for garnish (optional)


Scrape the potatoes, halve and rinse. Boil them until easily pierced with a fork. Drain but reserve the liquid. Chop the dill. Heat the oil in a big sauce pan or stock pot. Throw in the dill and stir for a couple of seconds. Add the flour and fry on low heat while stirring until lightly brown. The oil and flour mixture should form a not very thick paste; if it's too runny, add some more flour. When the flour browns, pour in about 2/3 of the potato water while stirring and then add the potatoes. Once the sauce heats up it will thicken. Add more water it you think it's too thick. Just before you take it off the burner, salt and add the beaten yogurt and stir well. Done. Serve with crumbled feta on top and good bread on the side. It can be eaten both warm and cold. Oh, I'm salivating just thinking about it. Enjoy!

No comments: